A criminal case is always a serious challenge for attorney-at-law. When it comes to freedom, reputation, and the material well-being of the client, one needs to concentrate all your knowledge and experience to solve the problem. Being an attorney-at-law is like being a doctor. You need to press until it hurts, and then you will understand what to look at and how to act.
If you or someone close to you is involved in criminal proceedings, do not panic! Legard’s team of experts has excellent theoretical training and extensive experience in handling criminal cases of various level of complexity. In particular, they are able to ensure the development of tactics and strategies for protection of the suspect, accused or defendant in criminal proceeding; preparation, submission and support of a claim in criminal proceeding, collection of evidence, preparation of procedural documents; appeals against the actions of authorized persons, appeals against sentences, etc.
In addition, our lawyers provide advice on criminal and criminal procedure law in the field of tax and economic relations; conduct an examination of legal risks in the field of criminal law in optimizing the tax burden and concluding agreements; carry out representation in law enforcement agencies when conducting inspections of financial and economic activities; provide representation and protection of the Client’s employees in emergency situations in cooperation with law enforcement agencies.
before and after the service of suspicion, study of materials of criminal proceedings, detection of errors, filing motions for an investigative experiment, examination or interrogation of a witness.
other procedural decisions, actions or inaction of the investigator and other representatives of the pre-trial investigation bodies, prosecutor’s office, court, in particular – on seizure of property, change of precautionary measure.
preparation and filing of a civil lawsuit in criminal proceeding (to compensate moral and material damage).
temporarily seized during the search: documents, money, computer equipment, telephones and so on.
(personal presence of attorney-at-law), detention, release of a detainee from custody, change of a measure of restraint, search, seizure, inspection of the scene, interrogation, investigative experiment, presentation for identification, examinations.
at the court of appeal, representing the Client’s interests in the Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
in connection with newly discovered or exceptional circumstances.
of suspects / accused from their host country into Ukraine, protection of persons convicted by a foreign court, support of the procedure for transferring of convicted person for serving a sentence in Ukraine.
PROCEDURAL TERMS IN CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS:
- Entering information into the Unified Register of Pre-trial Investigations (URPTI) – 24 hours from the date of receipt of the application / notification or identification of circumstances that may indicate a criminal offense (Article 214 of the CPC).
- Pre-trial investigation from the moment of entering information into the URPTI and until the moment of handing over the suspicion: 6 months – in case of criminal misconduct, 12 months – in case of minor and medium crimes, 18 months – in case of serious or especially serious crime (Article 219 of the CPC).
- From the moment of handing over of suspicion the pre-trial investigation comes to an end within 1 month concerning a criminal offense, within 2 months – in case of crime commitment.
- If the suspicion has not been hand over to anyone and the statutory pre-trial investigation has expired, the investigator / prosecutor is obliged to close the criminal proceeding.
- 30 days are set for appealing an conviction / acquittal at the court of appeal, 30 days for a sentence / decision on coercive medical / educational measures, 7 days for other decisions, and 5 days for decisionы of an investigating judge (Article 395 of the CPC).
- The term for filing a claim of appeal to the Supreme Court to review the decision in a criminal case in cassation proceeding is 3 months.
The attorneys-at-law have an old saying that the consciousness of one’s own innocence gives a person peace of mind. Don’t waste time and chances for peace of mind – address AA Legard specialists for assistance!